The Glamorous Gourmet About Events Recipes Wine Reviews Contact

Friday, February 3, 2012

Super Bowl Sunday Deliciousness: Savor the Moment's White Chicken Chili!

I know I promised you two fabulous interviews but before I post them, I would be remiss if I did not share this delicious recipe with you in time for Super Bowl Sunday!

I initially wrote about this recipe for White Chicken Chili in 2009 as I was cooking my way through the Junior League of Boca Raton's James Beard Award-winning cookbook, Savor the Moment. It is a delicious "go to" one pot meal perfect for satisfying a hungry mob of football fans. In my initial post, I wrote about the preparation of this dish, but I recently realized I did not actually post the recipe. So here it is, my Super Bowl gift to you, the recipe in its entirety! For ease of preparation, you might want to go ahead and substitute the 2 cans of rinsed white beans for the dried ones (I used Bush's Great Northern beans), this saves you from having to soak the dried beans overnight which I have not had much luck with for this recipe. Also, this recipe is easily adaptable so feel free to "make it your own" adding more or less of the ingredient(s) you desire - we like it spicy so I usually add more green chiles. For the beer, a light beer like Corona gives nice flavor without being too heavy but use whichever you like best. Because the recipe contains a beer, it is usually best served with one, how's that for an easy pairing?

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did and have a fabulous Super Bowl Sunday! For more Savor the Moment Super Bowl recipe suggestions please click here. So, Football Fans, will the Patriots or the Giants reign supreme this year? I'd love to hear what you think!

Cheers,

 

White Chicken Chili
from the Junior League of Boca Raton's cookbook, Savor the Moment
 Ingredients
1 pound dried Great Northern Beans
2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
2 medium onions, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, or to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
5 cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) can beer
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper (optional)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
salt to taste
Garnish
salsa
sour cream

Directions
Rinse and pick the beans and combine with water to cover in a large bowl. Let stand for 8 hours or longer.
Combine the chicken with cold water to cover in a large saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool and chop the chicken.
Saute the onions in the olive oil in a saucepan until transparent. Stir in the garlic, green chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Saute for 2 minutes.
Drain the beans and add to the saucepan. Add the chicken broth, beer, lemon pepper, white pepper and black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is heated through. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Season with salt.
Ladle into serving bowls, Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Garnish with salsa and sour cream.
Note: As a time-saver, substitute 2 cans of rinsed white beans for the dried beans.
Serves ten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails