The Glamorous Gourmet About Events Recipes Wine Reviews Contact

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Indoor Grilling - Round 2: Flank Steak Marinade

Since I am on a roll with the grilling, tonight I decided to try the recipe for Flank Steak Marinade. This little gem was included in last week’s JLBR e-mail newsletter as a “Quick Cook” recipe. I heard great things about it at our last Cookbook meeting and thought I'd give it a try. Today was a busy workday and the recipe looked easy enough – but was it? It sounded delicious with soy sauce, ginger, chopped garlic cloves and honey. Marinate the flank steak for 2 hours or so…ok, I’m game. I had some beautiful, ripe tomatoes at home to serve with it so why not!
The marinade was a cinch to assemble with only the blender to clean – YES! Two hours later I heated up my trusty grill pan once again and opened a bottle of red wine. Tonight I picked a red from the Rapel Valley in Chile. It is a blend of Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenere and Petit Verdot and was made from organically grown grapes. This wine received a 90 point rating and retails for under $25. After grilling the steak about 6-7 minutes per side it was ready to go with beautiful grill marks, a nice char and a delicious aroma!

The Dish:
Flank Steak Marinade (pg. 153)

The Drink:
2005 Emiliana Coyam Colchagua Valley, Chile

After letting the steak rest for about 10 minutes I sliced it and served it with the gorgeous, ripe tomatoes. The steak was a perfectly cooked medium rare and the tomatoes were especially delicious when sprinkled generously with sea salt and cracked black pepper. With its black pepper, blackberry and cassis overtones, the wine went perfectly with the steak - WOW. A simple weeknight dinner – what’s not to like about that? An easy meal to go home and make tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails