The Glamorous Gourmet About Events Recipes Wine Reviews Contact

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Winesday with Gary Vee: a California Chardonnay & Winery Not to Be Missed!

In keeping with the white Burgundy theme, this Winesday Gary has selected a lovely California Chardonnay that can hold its own against these classic French offerings. Here's what he had to say about the 2009 Frank Family Chardonnay:

"The current Daily Grape Newsletter is loaded with 70+ white Burgundy tasting notes and reviews, but sprinkled in the mix are a handful of Chardonnays from other regions around the world. This flight of white Burgundy set the Chardonnay bar high...they're hard to compete with. The 2009 Frank Family Chardonnay from Napa Valley though, proved it can compete on the same level with so many of its French counterparts. Like many Napa Valley Chardonnays, this wine is laced with a fair amount of oak. The key is, it's well integrated and matches up to the hedonistic, undeniable (apple and coconut fruit), making it downright delicious. It's also priced pretty fairly, when compared with so many over priced Chardonnays in the same category. Frank Family is one of my favorite places to visit in Napa, so stop by their Calistoga tasting room if you ever get the chance and tell them I sent you."

Gary's tasting note: Super bright and vibrant nose, with a nice balance of coconut, oak, and butterscotch. As I taste this wine, I can't help to think...this is what I wish Rombauer Chardonnay was! I don't like to compare wines within a tasting note, but the extreme popularity of Rombauer with its buttery, oaky style makes me realize why this wine would be extremely popular, with its additional acid structure and focus that will appease wine nerds and traditional Cali Chardonnay lovers alike.
2009 Frank Family Vineyards Chardonnay
100% Chardonnay
91 Points
$29 MSRP

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a rich, buttery Chardonnay. I love white wines and search for more complex ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like a Chardonnay. I realy enjoy your posts and learn so much from them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails