The Glamorous Gourmet About Events Recipes Wine Reviews Contact

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fabulous Summer Fare: Classic Yellowtail & South African Sauvignon Blanc

Summer's in full swing here in South Florida with temperatures climbing into the 90's and beyond! Time to beat the heat with some easy, elegant dishes from "Savor the Moment." If you're a fan of yellowtail snapper (I think it's a requirement for Florida residents) you should try this recipe that's referred to as "a year-round favorite at the Ocean Reef Club": Classic Yellowtail (pg. 183). After trying it, I definitely understand why!

Fresh yellowtail fillets are dusted with flour, dipped in egg wash and sautéed in a mixture of clarified butter and oil until golden brown, then baked in the oven until cooked through. In case you were wondering, clarified butter is just butter that has had the milk solids and water removed. It has a much higher smoke point, so you can cook with it at higher temperatures without it browning and burning. Also, without the milk solids, clarified butter can be kept for much longer without going rancid. It's actually very easy to make yourself, click here for more info. Once cooked, the fish is topped with a delicious sauce of sherry, capers and butter. I served the Yellowtail on a bed of cous cous with steamed asparagus, lemon wedges and a crisp, refreshing 2008 Boschendal 1685 Sauvignon Blanc Grande Cuvée from South Africa. In case you weren't aware, the host country of the 2010 World Cup also makes some pretty great wines!

Boschendal is one of the oldest wine producers in the New World with a French viticultural heritage dating back to 1685. It was originally founded by French Huguenots who recognized the property's potential and is situated at the gateway to the Franschhoek valley, less than an hour from Cape Town. The 2008 Sauvignon Blanc Grande Cuvée from their 1685 label had lovely aromas of citrus, herbs and tropical fruit and was crisp and refreshing on the palate, with a long, lingering finish. It complemented the Classic Yellowtail beautifully! The color scheme of this dish (and coincidentally, the wine) also went nicely with some new linens from Linen Closet, one of my favorite stores in town - I didn't even plan it that way, I swear! I have included the delicious recipe below and I hope it inspires you to pick up your copy of "Savor the Moment" today so you can enjoy fabulous recipes all Summer long. Thank you for your support!

XO,




Classic Yellowtail (pg. 183)
4 fresh yellowtail snapper fillets
salt and pepper to taste
flour
egg wash
1 ounce mixed clarified butter and oil
2 to 3 ounces sherry
1/4 cup capers
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
chopped parsley

Sprinkle the fillets with salt and pepper. Coat with flour and dip into the egg wash. Sauté in butter and oil in a heated ovenproof sauté pan until golden brown on both sides. Bake at 375 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Remove the fish to a serving platter.

Place the sauté pan on the stove top and add the wine, stirring to deglaze the pan. Cook until bubbly. Add the capers and butter and cook until smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in the parsley. Serve over the fish. Serves two to four.

** Wines for this blog provided by Republic National Distributing Company

7 comments:

  1. this looks so good i adore your cooking and wine combos and wow your mum looks so young. would still love a guest post hint hint

    love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post. Well-written and informtive. Perfect snapper dish.

    Be Well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish, Stephanie!
    Fresh yellowtail makes my eyes roll back in my head! Aren't we fortunate to be able to get it so easily? This is a lovely recipe, but I must confess I like mine plain with salt, pepper and lemon so it practically melts in your mouth.
    Our long hot Florida summer has started early, hasn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have friends that bring Yellowtail back from Florida and share it with us for dinner at their home, occasionally. It is wonderful and I'm happy to have the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have about 10 pounds or more of snapper I recently caught and I am always looking for new ways to cook it. This sounds great, reminds me of a Picatta (one of my husband's favorites). This is what we will be having for dinner tonight!! ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You floridians are luckier that us: I don't think I'll find yellowtail snapper here in Montreal. I wish I could put a hold on it, though: yellowtail snappers have a tasty flesh that I miss a lot (tasted it just twice in my life). What we easily find here is the common red snapper: a favourite of mine and perhaps one that could still do justice to your recipe. I'll try it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Blog.
    Very well written post.
    I am a follower of Chaw and Chatter, that`s how I found you.
    Wishing you a great week ♥

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails